Maize Starch

Starch is a polysaccharide carbohydrate. All green plants store starch as energy produced by photosynthesis. The most common form of starch is amylase and amyloprotein. Maize (Corn) Starch (C6H10O5) is the leading source of starch both for food and for its use in industries.

The largest single use of for corn starch is as food, about 25% thus consumed. Industrial uses account for the remaining 75%.


Uses of Starch:

As Food :

Starch is a source of carbohydrate, which is one of the three essential elements of food. It widely occurs in agricultural products, mainly in cereals (such as wheat, maize and rice), and in roots and tubers of potatoes, Sweet potatoes, and Cassava. Starch is also processed to produce many of the sugars in processed foods.

However, Maize starch can be developed into following specialty starches:

  • Waxy corn starch
  • High-amylose corn starch
  • Chemically modified starches
  • Other naturally modified corn starches

Industrial Use :

Dissolving starch in warm water gives wheat paste that can be used as a thickening, stiffening or gluing agent.

Paper Making Process :

The biggest industrial non-food use of starch is as adhesive in the paper making process. The paper industry utilizes corn starch as filler and a sizing material. Textile, Laundry, foundry, air flotation, oil-well drilling, and adhesives use much starch. Much of it is employed in its natural form, but it is also easily converted to other forms. Glucose, for example, is one of the varieties which can be prepared from starch. Dextrin is the other reaction product which can be made from starch and could be used as adhesive in many industries such as paper printing.

Other products, which can be prepared from starch are :-

  • Sweeteners
  • Ethanol
  • Polyols
  • Organic Acids
  • Amino Acids

Privacy Policy | Terms
Designed & developed by Qdel